Academic Planning Committee
The Academic Planning Committee (APC) uses a structure of subcommittees and ad hoc working groups to provide expertise and support in all activities falling under USGIF Academic Programs, to include collegiate accreditation, scholarships and awards, the planning and coordination of academic events, curricula development, teaching and research, K-12 outreach, and more. APC members also serve as subject matter experts in various USGIF-related academic endeavors. The APC leads the Accreditation Subcommittee, the Scholarships Subcommittee, and the K-12 Subcommittee. The APC chair also serves on USGIF’s Academic Advisory Board.
- Chair: Dr. Todd S. Bacastow, Penn State University
- Arie Croitoru, George Mason University
- Col. Steven D. Fleming, University of Southern California
- Dr. George F. Hepner, University of Utah
- Lt. Col. Ian J. Irmishcer, Ph.D., U.S. Military Academy
- Dr. Helmut Kraenzle, James Madison University
- Dr. Rakesh Malhotra, North Carolina Central University
- Dr. Marco Painho, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- Dr. Cordula Robinson, Northeastern University
- Dr. May Yuan, Ph.D., University of Texas at Dallas
The Accreditation Subcommittee assists USGIF’s Director of Academic Programs in administering USGIF’s Accredited Programs. It provides guidance related to the establishment of GEOINT standards for teaching and learning, accreditation policy oversight, and accreditation assessments, and also conducts evaluations of applications for accreditation/reaccreditation and participates in accreditation site visits.
The Scholarships Subcommittee develops rubrics and other scholarship assessment guidelines and evaluates applications for USGIF’s annual Scholarship Program. The subcommittee selects the recipients for USGIF’s Scholarship Program and provides recommendations to USGIF leadership.
The K-12 Subcommittee guides USGIF’s promotion of geographic literacy and geospatial intelligence awareness for its K-12 Educational Outreach Program, as well as guides USGIF in the development of educational materials and curriculum. The subcommittee works to build and grow the GEOINT pipeline into higher education and beyond.
For questions about the K-12 Subcommittee, contact USGIF Lead Educational Manager Lindsay Mitchell at Lindsay.email@example.com.